Wednesday, February 6, 2013

It Begins...

Alrighty, ladies and gentlemen, I finally did it. I started a blog.

For those interested, I'll be using this thing to ramble and rant about my current obsession- tabletop gaming. I know, I know, there's a ton of these out there already, but unlike most of these, I don't have decades of experience to back me up. In fact I've only been a part of the hobby for about 4 years as of this post. That may sound like a lot, but some of the people I game with have been doing this for decades.

That puts me in an odd position: the perspective of one just getting into the game surrounded by others with more years of gaming experience than I have years of existence. To that end, I've been able to reflect on the differences between those with old school sensibilities versus newer, more modern design ideals. Lucky for me, I fell in with a crowd with vastly different ideas on what makes a great game. Some of whom have actual work experience in the field, behind the scenes so-to-speak.

With this blog, I intend to mostly wax philosophical about my observations as I build my gaming 'career' and maybe churn up some ideas that may be useful to other gamers in some respects. I imagine a good number of things I bring up may be treading old ground for those more experienced than I, but that's all part and partial to the whole 'experience' thing. 

Introductions

So, who am I? Mostly a nobody. My name is Matt Steen, age 29, small nerd at large. I like movies, video games, and as per my topic of choice for this blog, tabletop rpgs. I also like drawing, music and nearly any other type of storytelling medium. Especially cartoons. I'm not a college professor. I'm not a journalist. I'm not a game designer. I'm just some dude who thinks too much.

The Setup

I think some ground rules and expectations should be apropos. 

* Food for Thought- This is mainly going to be stream of thought here. Opinion is probably going to be flavor of the day, so take what is said here with a grain of salt.
* No Soapboxing- If I go into religion or politics, it's going to be in fictional universes. There's enough of that type of thing elsewhere, if you're looking for the real stuff.
* No Hate- Even if I use the word or the emotion seems implied, if I get critical about a topic it's that I want to improve something, not just nerdrage on it.
* But Wait, There's More!- I will occasionally branch out topically, but I don't intend to stray too far, and will mostly loop it back into the topic at hand. Like I said previously, I like storytelling.

That should be good for now. Until next time, stay classy!

No comments:

Post a Comment